If you’ve ever struggled to create that perfect, creamy froth for your morning latte or cappuccino using almond milk, this blog post is for you.
Finding a milk frother that works well with the unique properties of almond milk can be a challenge, but we’ve done the legwork for you.
After extensive testing and research, we’ve compiled a list of the top 8 milk frothers that excel with almond milk.
Let’s briefly overview these options first, and then we’ll dive into a more detailed discussion about each one.
8 Best Milk Frothers For Almond Milk: At A Glance
- Maestri House Milk Frother: Best Overall
- Zulay Executive Series Milk Frother: Best Handheld
- Bodum Latteo Manual Milk Frother: Best Manual
- Secura Electric Milk Frother: Hot And Cold Frothing
- Haptime Manual Milk Creamer Hand Pump Frother: Best Stovetop
- FrothBlast Handheld Milk Frother: Best For Speed
- Newoer Electric Milk Frother and Warmer: Most Sleek Design
- Aerolatte Milk Frother: Best Compact Choice
1. Maestri House Milk Frother: Best Overall
Climbing to the top of our list as the best milk frother for almond milk is the Maestri House Milk Frother, and for good reason.
It’s a versatile, high-capacity frother that stands out for its ability to create perfect milk foam for a variety of drinks, both hot and cold.
With a generous capacity – 21 ounces for heating and 17 ounces for frothing – it’s nearly triple the size of many competitors.
But what really sets it apart is its world-first feature: the ability to adjust both the temperature and the thickness of the milk foam, catering to a range of coffee preferences, from cappuccinos to lattes and mochas.
Plus, its memory function conveniently recalls your last settings for temperature and froth consistency.
The Maestri House Frother offers four temperature settings (Ordinary Temp, 120℉, 140℉, 160℉) and three froth thickness options (low, medium, high).
This level of control ensures a superior coffee experience tailored to your taste.
Its design is both sleek and user-friendly, featuring a touch control panel with six settings, including options for cold and hot froths and milk, as well as hot chocolate.
You can achieve creamy, barista-quality froth effortlessly.
Aesthetically pleasing with its stainless steel look, the frother is also practical.
The pitcher, made of durable, scratch-resistant stainless steel, is dishwasher safe and designed with a spout for easy, splash-free pouring.
Cleaning is further simplified with the included fine sponge brush.
While it may have a higher price tag and a bulkier design than most frothers, its performance, especially with almond milk, is unmatched.
If you’re preparing plant-based lattes for a crowd, this frother is an ideal choice.
Overall, for almond milk enthusiasts who value quality and versatility, the Maestri House Milk Frother is a top contender.
- Versatile Functionality: Adjusts temperature and foam thickness for various coffee types.
- High Capacity: Can hold up to 21 ounces for heating and 17 ounces for frothing.
- Memory Function: Remembers previous temperature and froth settings.
- Multiple Settings: Offers four temperature and three froth thickness options.
- User-Friendly Interface: Features a touch control panel with six different settings.
- Durable Design: Made with scratch-resistant, dishwasher-safe stainless steel.
- Efficient Cleaning: Comes with a sponge brush for easy cleaning.
- Higher Price Point: More expensive compared to other milk frothers.
- Bulky Size: Takes up more space, not ideal for compact kitchens.
2. Zulay Executive Series Milk Frother: Best Handheld
If you’re in the market for an affordable, high-quality handheld frother, the Zulay Executive Series Milk Frother is a great choice.
This battery-operated, best-selling frother is celebrated for its versatility and efficiency.
It’s adept at creating a smooth, frothy texture in a range of milks including almond, soy, cashew, and even whole milk, making it a fantastic tool for both coffee enthusiasts and those who enjoy protein shakes.
The frother’s powerful motor ensures consistent and excellent frothing results every time.
Its operation is straightforward – a simple push of a button and you get your milk transformed into a rich froth within seconds.
Zulay Kitchen emphasizes durability and quality in their products, and this frother is no exception.
It features an ergonomic plastic handle and a stainless steel whisk, promising longevity and rust resistance.
One of its key advantages is its compact size, which makes storage a breeze.
Cleaning is equally effortless; just rinse the whisk under hot running water and turn it on for a quick clean.
This frother isn’t just for coffee – it’s equally effective for frothing hot chocolate, soups, cocktails, and even for whisking eggs.
It’s available in various colors and is priced affordably.
An added bonus is that unlike the original model, this Executive series frother comes with a stand, providing convenient storage.
However, there are a few drawbacks.
The frother wand could be longer for better ease of use with hot milk.
Additionally, some users have raised concerns about its durability, noting it can be prone to breakage if not handled carefully.
Despite this, its effectiveness with almond milk and other alternative milks makes it a worthy investment for many.
- Affordable: Priced accessibly, offering good value for money.
- Versatile: Works with various types of milk.
- Powerful Motor: Ensures consistent and reliable frothing.
- Easy to Use: Simple one-button operation for quick frothing.
- Quality Construction: Made with durable materials, featuring an ergonomic handle and stainless steel whisk.
- Compact and Easy to Store: Small size makes it convenient for storage.
- Easy to Clean: Can be cleaned quickly under hot running water.
- Additional Functionality: Suitable for frothing hot chocolate, soups, cocktails, and whisking eggs.
- Comes with a Stand: Provides convenient storage, a feature not available in the original model.
- Short Wand: The frother wand could be longer for better use with hot milk.
- Durability Concerns: Some users report issues with breakage, suggesting it may require careful handling.
3. Bodum Latteo Manual Milk Frother: Best Manual
The Bodum Latteo Manual Milk Frother offers a simple and efficient way to create smooth, airy foam, perfect for a range of drinks like cappuccinos, lattes, mochas, and hot chocolate.
This frother stands out with its high-quality glass carafe and a plunger handle that’s both comfortable and easy to use.
You can quickly whip up preheated milk into foam in under 30 seconds.
A notable advantage of the Bodum Latteo is its microwave-safe glass container, making it easier to heat your milk.
To use, simply move the plunger up and down rapidly for about a minute.
This method works effectively with both vegan and dairy milk and is suitable for cold and warm milk.
However, if you’re using cold milk (up to 8 oz), it’s better to heat it after frothing to get a full serving.
Using the Bodum Latteo does require some manual effort, which might not be everyone’s preference.
The frother is designed with a sleek plastic lid to prevent foam from spilling and a comfortable grip on the plunger handle.
While the glass is on the thinner side and replacements might be hard to find, its overall durability is commendable.
For those looking for a straightforward, no-fuss method to make lattes without dirtying multiple containers, the Bodum Latteo is an excellent choice.
It’s also dishwasher-safe and easy to disassemble for hand washing, adding to its convenience.
This manual frother is ideal for those who enjoy the process of making their morning coffee as much as the drink itself.
- Efficient Foam Creation: Quickly whips up airy foam, ideal for various coffee drinks.
- High-Quality Materials: Made with a durable glass carafe and comfortable plunger handle.
- Microwave-Safe Container: Convenient for heating milk directly in the frother.
- Versatile: Works well with both vegan and dairy milk, and suitable for cold and warm milk.
- Easy to Use: Simple plunger mechanism for frothing.
- Compact Design: Ideal for kitchens with limited space.
- Dishwasher-Safe: Easy to clean and maintain.
- Single-Container Convenience: Reduces the need for multiple utensils or containers.
- Manual Effort Required: Some users may find the manual frothing process labor-intensive.
- Fragile Glass Carafe: The glass is thinner than average, requiring careful handling.
4. Secura Electric Milk Frother: Hot And Cold Frothing
If you’re looking for a convenient way to get your milk warm and frothy, the Secura Electric Milk Frother is a solid choice.
This user-friendly stainless steel frother is equipped with two different whisks – one for frothing and another for heating.
It’s perfect for making warm or cold froth for cappuccinos, as well as heating milk for lattes.
With a capacity of 125 ml for froth and 250 ml for warm milk, it’s suitably sized for most needs.
The frother has helpful indicators for maximum and minimum milk levels, ensuring perfect results every time.
It heats milk to a cozy 140°F-160°F, although the foam’s temperature might be slightly lower.
This feature guarantees milk that’s not just frothy but also at an enjoyable drinking temperature.
Using it is a breeze. For warm drinks, just press the ON/OFF button once; to froth without heating (ideal for cold drinks), press and hold the button for 3 seconds.
An indicator light assists you in distinguishing between the two modes, making it simple to prepare your favorite coffee at home.
The device comes with Strix temperature controls and an overheat protection feature, automatically turning off when the milk or foam is ready.
This prevents burning or excessive frothing.
However, there are a couple of points to consider.
While it can froth almond milk, Secura suggests using whole milk for the best results.
Also, some customers have reported that the frother stopped working after a few uses, so durability might be an issue.
- Versatile Functionality: Equipped with both a frothing and a heating whisk.
- Dual Temperature Settings: Suitable for both warm and cold milk preparations.
- Capacity: Can hold 125 ml for froth and 250 ml for warm milk.
- User-Friendly: Simple one-touch operation for different modes.
- Temperature Control: Heats milk to an ideal range of 140°F-160°F.
- Indicator Lights: Helps distinguish between heating and frothing modes.
- Safety Features: Includes Strix temperature control and automatic shut-off to prevent overheating.
- Optimal with Whole Milk: May not yield the best results with almond milk, as recommended by Secura.
- Durability Concerns: Some users report malfunctions after a few uses.
5. Haptime Manual Milk Creamer Hand Pump Frother: Best Stovetop
If you’re someone who likes warming milk on the stovetop and needs a handy frother, the Haptime Manual Milk Creamer Hand Pump Frother is an excellent pick.
This portable, heavy-duty frother is ideal for both home use and travel.
Crafted from stainless steel, it boasts a 17-ounce capacity and is designed to be durable and hygienic.
The stainless steel’s bright surface and wire-drawn inner wall make it not only aesthetically pleasing but also relatively easy to clean.
Operating this frother is a breeze – just pump the handle up and down about 20-30 times in 30 seconds, and you’ll get foam with the perfect consistency.
It’s especially effective with non-dairy milks like almond, hemp, and oat milk.
An added bonus is its eco-friendliness; it doesn’t require electricity or batteries to function.
This frother can effortlessly produce enough frothed milk for 2-3 cups of coffee.
While it’s generally easy to clean, it’s worth noting that the plunger and lid are fixed together, and there’s no rubber top to prevent milk splashing.
This might make the cleaning process slightly more challenging than other models.
Despite this, if your goal is to quickly and easily make frothy almond milk without much fuss, the Haptime Manual Milk Creamer Hand Pump Frother stands out as a top choice.
- Portable and Heavy-Duty: Ideal for both home use and travel.
- Stainless Steel Construction: Durable, hygienic, and easy to clean.
- 17-Ounce Capacity: Suitable for making multiple servings at once.
- Manual Operation: Eco-friendly, no need for electricity or batteries.
- Effective with Non-Dairy Milks: Works well with almond, hemp, and oat milk.
- Easy to Use: Simple pumping action to create foam.
- Fixed Plunger and Lid: This can make cleaning more challenging.
- No Splash Prevention: Lacks a rubber top to prevent milk from splashing out during use.
6. FrothBlast Handheld Milk Frother: Best For Speed
The FrothBlast Milk Frother is a little powerhouse, offering jet-engine level energy at 19,000 RPM with just a press of a button and a pair of AA batteries (not included).
Compact, wireless, and portable, it may be small, but it packs a mighty punch.
In just 15 seconds, it can create a froth tsunami, making it perfect for aerating low-protein milks like almond milk that usually resist frothing.
This frother is incredibly versatile, capable of whisking up not just your morning latte or cappuccino, but also milkshakes, macchiatos, frappes, matcha teas, and hot chocolate, whether they’re hot or cold.
At only 11 inches tall, the FrothBlast is a great compact option that you can carry with you anywhere.
Its motor runs smoothly and quietly, unlike some other models that can be noisy and disruptive.
One thing to note is its efficiency – it works so quickly that you’ll need to leave some room in your cup to prevent overflow.
The frother’s long wand is particularly handy for frothing milk in larger containers and thermoses.
Cleaning is a breeze; just rinse the stainless steel whisk with water and soap.
The whisk is rust-resistant, ensuring durability and longevity.
The battery life is impressive too, offering about 6 hours of continuous use.
However, there are a couple of downsides.
The FrothBlast operates at a single speed, and unlike the Zulay Executive Series, it doesn’t come with a stand.
Despite these minor points, the FrothBlast stands out for its powerful, efficient, and versatile frothing capabilities.
- Powerful Performance: Reaches up to 19,000 RPM, efficiently frothing milk.
- Portable and Compact: Easy to carry and store, ideal for small spaces.
- Versatile Use: Suitable for a variety of beverages, including lattes, cappuccinos, milkshakes, and more.
- Fast Frothing: Creates froth in just 15 seconds, even with low-protein milks like almond.
- Quiet Operation: The motor runs smoothly without excessive noise.
- Long Wand: Convenient for use in larger containers and thermoses.
- Easy to Clean: The stainless steel whisk is simple to rinse and soap-clean.
- Durable: Rust-resistant whisk ensures long-lasting use.
- Good Battery Life: Offers around 6 hours of continuous use.
- Single Speed: Only operates at one speed.
- No Stand Included: Unlike some models, it doesn’t come with a stand for storage.
- Risk of Overflow: Works so efficiently that it can easily cause milk to overflow if the cup is too full.
7. Newoer Electric Milk Frother and Warmer: Most Sleek Design
The Newoer Electric Milk Frother and Warmer is a versatile 4-in-1 device, perfect for creating both hot and cold milk foam for drinks like lattes, cappuccinos, and hot chocolates.
It’s equipped with a robust 400W motor and has the capacity to transform up to 350 ml of milk into rich, warm foam or smooth, cold froth.
One of its key features is the Strix Temperature Controls, which ensure the device automatically turns off once the milk foam is ready, enhancing safety and energy efficiency.
The frother boasts a design that prioritizes safety and convenience.
It has a cold-touch outer wall and non-slip rubber feet, minimizing risks during use.
Made from high-quality stainless steel with a non-stick coating, it also features an angled spout designed to reduce spillages.
The model with the wooden trim handle adds a sleek and stylish touch to its appearance.
Operation is both quick and quiet, capable of producing excellent milk foam in under two minutes.
Cleaning is straightforward too, thanks to the included cleaning brush.
However, there are a couple of drawbacks.
During our testing, we noticed that the milk doesn’t get as warm as some might prefer.
Also, if you fill the milk slightly above the maximum line, it tends to overflow during frothing, which can be a bit inconvenient for everyday use.
- 4-in-1 Functionality: Can create both hot and cold milk foam for various drinks.
- Powerful Motor: Equipped with a 400W motor, handling up to 350 ml of milk.
- Automatic Safety Features: Includes Strix Temperature Controls and auto shut-off.
- Safe Design: Features a cold-touch outer wall and non-slip rubber feet.
- Quality Materials: Made of high-quality stainless steel with a non-stick coating.
- Stylish Appearance: Available with a wooden trim handle for a sleek look.
- Efficient Operation: Quick and quiet, producing milk foam in under 2 minutes.
- Easy to Clean: Comes with a cleaning brush for convenience.
- Limited Heating Capacity: Does not warm milk as much as we’d prefer.
- Overflow Issue: Tends to overflow if milk is filled above the maximum line.
8. Aerolatte Milk Frother: Best Compact Choice
If you don’t mind spending a bit extra on a handheld frother, the Aerolatte Milk Frother is definitely worth considering.
Its standout feature is the use of high-quality materials – a stainless steel whisk and a BPA-free plastic handle.
This combination makes it versatile enough to froth a wide variety of milks, including soy, rice, almond, coconut, and other non-dairy options.
The Aerolatte is a handheld, battery-operated device designed to produce rich, creamy froth for a range of beverages like cappuccinos, lattes, frappes, hot chocolate, and milkshakes.
It’s incredibly user-friendly: just heat your milk, immerse the frother, and switch it on.
You’ll have your desired froth thickness in under a minute.
Cleaning is just as simple – rinse the whisk under the tap and put the frother back on its stand.
Speaking of stands, for a little extra, you can get this frother with a chrome stand, which not only provides convenient storage but also beautifully complements your coffee machine and accessories.
The Aerolatte is a great space-saving alternative to bulkier electric or jug frothers and has won the hearts of many coffee enthusiasts.
However, there are a couple of downsides.
One is the higher price tag for this type of handheld frother.
The other issue is the battery life; the included batteries seem to run out pretty quickly, lasting less than a month in our experience.
Despite these points, the Aerolatte Milk Frother remains a popular choice for its quality and convenience.
- High-Quality Materials: Stainless steel whisk and BPA-free plastic handle.
- Versatile: Suitable for all types of milk, including non-dairy alternatives.
- Easy to Use: Simple operation and quick to produce froth.
- Convenient Cleaning: Whisk is easy to rinse under the tap.
- Optional Stand: Available with a chrome stand for display and storage.
- Space-Saving: Compact design, ideal for smaller kitchens.
- Higher Price: More expensive compared to other handheld frothers.
- Short Battery Life: Batteries tend to run out quickly, with replacements needed within a month.
How Exactly Is Froth Made?
Froth, or foam, is created by incorporating air into a liquid, resulting in a mass of small bubbles.
In the context of milk for beverages like coffee, this is typically achieved through the use of a frother or steamer.
The device introduces air into the milk by rapidly agitating it, either through a spinning whisk in handheld or jug-style electric frothers, or by injecting steam through a steam wand in espresso machines.
The process not only incorporates air but also heats the milk, which affects the proteins and fats, allowing the formation of stable bubbles.
The result is a light, airy foam that can be spooned onto drinks, enhancing their texture and flavor profile.
With non-dairy milks like almond or soy, the process is similar, though these milks may froth differently due to their varying protein and fat contents compared to cow’s milk.
Buyer’s Guide: Choosing the Best Milk Frother for Almond Milk
When selecting the ideal milk frother for almond milk, several key factors should be taken into account to ensure you find a product that meets your needs and preferences.
Almond milk has different properties compared to cow’s milk, which can affect frothing performance.
Here’s a detailed guide to help you make an informed decision:
Type of Frother
Electric vs. Manual
Electric frothers offer convenience and consistent results with minimal effort.
They are generally faster and can both heat and froth the milk.
Manual frothers require more physical effort but give you more control over the frothing process.
They are usually more affordable and portable.
Handheld vs. Jug Style
Handheld frothers are compact and easy to store, ideal for small kitchens or infrequent use.
Jug-style frothers are larger and often have more features, such as temperature controls and the ability to froth larger quantities of milk.
Compatibility with Almond Milk
Some frothers are better suited to froth almond milk than others.
Look for a frother that can handle the lower protein content of almond milk, which affects how well the milk froths.
Consider the quality of froth the device produces.
You want a frother that creates a creamy, consistent foam without large bubbles, which is particularly challenging with almond milk.
Temperature control is crucial for achieving the perfect warmth without scalding the milk.
Some advanced models offer multiple temperature settings, which is a significant advantage.
For safety and convenience, choose a frother with an automatic shut-off feature that stops the heating process once the ideal temperature is reached.
Consider the amount of frothed milk you typically need.
A larger capacity is useful for serving multiple beverages at once, while a smaller frother is sufficient for personal use.
Ease of Cleaning
Regular cleaning is essential for hygiene and the longevity of the frother.
Models with non-stick interiors and dishwasher-safe components are easier to clean.
Ensure the design allows easy access to all parts that come into contact with milk.
Durability and Material Quality
A frother made with high-quality materials like stainless steel is likely to last longer.
Check the durability of the whisk and the motor’s quality, especially in handheld models.
Design and Aesthetics
If the frother will be a permanent fixture on your countertop, consider its design and how it fits with your kitchen’s aesthetics.
Some frothers come with additional features like the ability to make cold froth, which can be a bonus if you enjoy iced drinks.
Particularly for electric frothers, the noise level during operation can be a consideration if you prefer a quiet environment.
Price and Warranty
Determine your budget and find the best option within that range.
More expensive doesn’t always mean better, especially for simple needs.
A good warranty can be a lifesaver if you encounter issues with your frother.
It’s also an indicator of the manufacturer’s confidence in their product.
Tips and Tricks for Frothing Almond Milk
When frothing almond milk, a few key techniques can enhance your results.
Firstly, always opt for fresh, high-quality almond milk – the fresher it is, the better it froths.
Temperature plays a critical role; heat the milk to about 60°C (140°F) for optimal froth, as almond milk froths best when warm, not hot.
Vigorous shaking before pouring it into the frother can also help, especially with manual frothers.
If using an electric frother, ensure it’s compatible with non-dairy milks.
Almond milk is thinner and less protein-rich than cow’s milk, so it requires a gentler frothing approach.
Don’t overfill the frother; almond milk expands more than dairy milk when frothed.
Finally, practice patience – frothing almond milk might take a bit longer to achieve the desired consistency, but with these tips, you’ll get closer to that perfect, creamy foam ideal for your coffee creations.
The Verdict: Which Frother Is Best For Almond Milk?
Our top pick for the best milk frother for almond milk is the Maestri House Milk Frother, chosen for its exceptional versatility, high capacity, and unique ability to adjust both temperature and froth thickness, making it ideal for various coffee types.
For a handheld option, the Zulay Executive Series Milk Frother stands out due to its durability, efficient frothing capabilities, and convenient design, including a useful stand.
Lastly, the Bodum Latteo Manual Milk Frother is our choice for the best manual frother, offering a simple, eco-friendly solution that effectively froths almond milk with its robust design and ease of use, despite requiring a bit more manual effort.
Each of these frothers excels in its category, providing quality and functionality tailored to different preferences and needs.
Should I heat almond milk before frothing?
Yes, it’s generally recommended to heat almond milk before frothing.
Warm almond milk froths better, creating a creamier and more stable foam.
Aim for a temperature around 60°C (140°F) for optimal results.
Avoid overheating, as this can degrade the quality of the froth.
Can I put almond milk in a milk frother?
Yes, Almond milk can be used in a milk frother.
However, keep in mind that its lower protein and fat content compared to cow’s milk might affect the froth quality.
It’s important to use a frother that works well with non-dairy milks for the best results.
Why does almond milk not froth well?
Almond milk doesn’t froth as well as cow’s milk due to its lower protein and fat content.
These components in cow’s milk contribute to the stability and structure of the froth.
Almond milk’s thinner consistency and different composition can lead to less stable foam, but the right technique and frother can significantly improve the results.
Which non-dairy milk is best to froth?
Soy milk and oat milk are often considered the best non-dairy options for frothing.
They have a protein and fat content closer to that of cow’s milk, which helps in creating a richer, creamier foam.
Many baristas prefer these for their similarity in consistency and frothing behavior.
What almond milk tastes most like cow milk?
Almond milk’s taste is quite distinct from cow’s milk, but certain brands offer versions that come closer in flavor and texture.
Look for almond milks labeled as “barista blend” or “barista series,” as these are often formulated to mimic the creaminess and mouthfeel of cow’s milk and perform better in coffee drinks.